Bigelow, Kennard & Co. of Boston was one of the leading Boston merchants in the 19th and early 20th century, selling high-quality domestic and imported silver, glass, and clocks.
John Bigelow founded the firm around 1824 and was soon followed by his brothers, Alanson & Abraham O. Bigelow and in 1830 they were known as Bigelow Brothers.
Martin Parry Kennard of Brookline MA joined the firm between 1845-1847 and the company became Bigelow Brothers & Kennard until 1863. From 1863 to 1972 it was Bigelow Kennard & Co. They ceased business around 1972. During this long period they had watches and clocks private-labeled for them from various manufacturers, several examples of which are shown here.
A cousin of the jewelry family, Edward Alden Bigelow, was treasurer for the E. Howard Clock Co. around 1900 and was also associated with the E.Howard Watch Co. that split off from the clock company at that time.